Olympia, St. John - Second Church - 1891-1949
The Rev. Mr. Wiles, who arrived in 1860, initiated the church records connected with the establishment of the Church at Olympia, Washington Territory, 1860.
On January 7, 1864, the Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Washington passed: “An Act to incorporate St. John’s Church, Olympia.” St. John’s became the first incorporated church in the state.
In 1864, property was purchased and an old frame carpenter shop was converted to a church. The church was consecrated on September 3, 1865. The Rev. Dr. Reuben D. Nevius, became rector of St. John’s in 1883.
A builder of churches, he was undoubtedly behind a motion at the annual meeting of 1884 to erect a new church. In 1889, construction began. The dedication of
the new house of worship was on July 19, 1891. This church was sold in 1949.